November 1, 2011
Here at MTB we are constantly watching market trends and trying to stay ahead of the curve. We especially love products that are energy efficient and can save you money! We've recently stumbled across a new thermostat company that is garnering a lot of attention. If the thermostat to the left looks sleek, simple and modern it should.
Two of the founders spent quite a few years at Apple working on various projects. Most recently they helped develop some of the latest iPod and iPad designs.
Since heating and cooling makes up for about 50% of your power bill, they saw a big gap in the market for thermostats. Thermostats have traditionally been a boring box that you have to keep manually changing the setting or they are programmable. I don't know about you, but I feel like I'm reasonably intelligent and the programmable thermostats I've experienced are insanely complex.
According to the nest site, you teach nest in about a week. As more time passes the more it will learn your temperature preferences and save you money. Additionally nest can connect to wi-fi. This means you can connect remotely via your smartphone or laptop to adjust the temperature.
The nest site is great and has a lot of fun videos and additional information.
The unit is selling for $249 and hasn't been officially released.
February 21, 2011
If you find yourself in the market for a new air conditioner this season one rating you will be taking into consideration is SEER. SEER stands for Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio which is defined by the Air Conditioning, Heating and Refrigeration Institute. It’s a number that describes how well air-conditioning equipment works and the higher the SEER rating the more efficient your unit.
The US Department of Energy determines the exact indoor and outdoor conditions that are used for testing air conditioners and heat pumps when setting SEER ratings. This strictly controlled testing makes it a great comparison of different manufacturers equipment.
Energy efficiency and sustainability are top of mind for most people today and SEER ratings are becoming more and more important. Today all residential air conditioners sold in the United States must have a SEER rating of at least 13. In order to qualify for the ENERGY STAR rating an air conditioner must have a SEER rating of 14 or higher.
Significant energy savings can be realized from using systems with high SEER Ratings. Exact savings will depend on the usage rate, length of seasons and the cost of electricity. Work with a HVAC Professional to determine the best SEER rating to use based on your climate.
Starting with equipment with a high SEER rating is the first step. The second step is working with a qualified HVAC Contractor to be sure your equipment is setup and maintained properly and running at peak efficiency.
January 30, 2011
At MTB Heating Plumbing and Cooling we take our job of staying on the cutting edge of technology very seriously. Our commitment to technology benefits our customers each and every day and for that we are proud. The cost of heating fuel and using sustainable energy is on everyone's mind these days and SunSource® is an innovative way to positively impact your energy bills and the environment.
The new Lennox SunSource® Home Energy System utilizes solar panels installed on your home to help power your heating and cooling systems. Solar panels have become much more efficient and affordable in recent years and are a viable solution for many homeowners.
So how does it work?
- Installation - Between 1 and 15 solar panels are installed to your existing roof system. The clean & sustainable energy that is collected from the solar panels is directed to your SunSource® Solar-Ready heat pump or air conditioner.
- Surplus Power - When your heating or cooling system isn't running the energy collected by the solar panels is directed to lighting, appliances and other electronics in your home. Any remaining power surplus goes back to your utility company and in many cases results in a credit on your power bill.
- Monitor Savings - The SunSource Home Energy System communication module allows you to view your power savings and the overall impact on your power bill.
- Significant Savings - Your overall power needs can be reduced by up to 56%!
- Equipment Options - The system is available on two different model heat pumps and two different model air conditioners. All four of these systems qualify for a $500 tax credit in 2011 also!
For more information on the SunSource® Home Energy System check out our SunSource Solar Equipment in Charlotte page or call us at 704-321-9250 to arrange for a personalized proposal and design of a solar system that is right for your home.